CARES Act: Morton College Receives $1.2 million to Support Students

CARES Act Offers Stimulus to Fight Impact of Coronavirus
Photo Credit: Google Image

by Bianca Cataldo

May 13, 2020

The CARES Act (Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund) was passed by Congress and signed by the president on March 27. Around $14 billion was distributed to institutions. The Act provides funds to help students facing financial challenges. In fact, during this period, students’ lives may have been disrupted, and they might struggle to get through the semester. It is the responsibility of institutions to inform their students and provide clear instructions and directions they can follow to request the grant.

Morton College received $1,266,321.50 during early April, but only yesterday, May 12, the institution made the announcement that (in agreement with the Department of Education) it will disburse the CARES Act funds to eligible students. However, with thousands of students in need, and Morton College estimated 2000 eligible students, the amount each one will receive is reduced. Even though the school was awarded $1.2 million, the students will individually receive grants that range from $695 to $772 based on need.

Currently enrolled Morton College students which received Financial- Aid for the Semester, are eligible to receive the grant, and they can so apply for it. Many College Students count on CARES Act funding to ease the financial burden caused by Covid-19. However,institutions are not going to be able to help everyone, or to help them as much as they would. In fact, Morton College is trying to help the most in need. However, our College has also other ways to help its students: in addition to CARES Act funds, students can also apply for MC Student Emergency Fund and receive grants that range from $100 to $500 and they can even apply to receive a laptop.

The deadline for CARES Act applications is on August 1st. Students must apply on time and only though their school e-mail. It is important to apply as soon as possible, above all for students that are graduating and that can loose access to their school e-mail. Morton College could have communicated this earlier, but if we apply right away, everyone should be able to receive these grants.

It has been a hard period for everyone, whether students, adults, for the whole community! Students had to deal with the disruption of Campus Activities, and the passage to online-classes without having access to school resources, and for sure many students had to face expenses they were not facing before. People lost their jobs or work less. Hopefully the grant will help students to cover unexpected expenses they faced because of this disruption. In this period, we can be grateful for these resources the State and the College are making available. I hope the most of you are going to apply and be awarded of the grant.

Hopefully this will ease the situation created by the pandemic.