Vote Aqui, Vote Here

Photo Credit: Google Image

Politics is toxic. And so people don’t talk about politics. Voting doesn’t matter. And so people don’t vote. Time is money. And so people work. Health care is expensive. And so 68,000 Americans died last year because they couldn’t afford it.

Register to vote and lookup your polling place with your ZIP code at: https://www.elections.il.gov

by James M Abrusci

Feb. 28, 2020

Millennials are the first generation in American history to have a lower life expectancy than their parents. From endless wars in the Middle East, to the largest drug crisis in history, to an increase in racially-motivated hate crimes, to the largest gun violence epidemic in history, to an increase in police-involved deaths, to the increase in depression and other mental illness, a rise in work-related stress, a rise in gang violence, bullying on social media, millennials are dying in mass amounts.

And then there’s the cost of health care. According to a study, conducted by Yale, and published on February 15th, 2020 in the prestigious British journal The Lancet, 68,000 Americans die each and every year because they cannot afford health care. More than 500,000 Americans declare medical bankruptcy every year. Just giving birth to a child via C-Section will cost you $50,000—with insurance.

And then there’s the cost of education. Morton students will be familiar with the tuition that 4-year institutions charge. It’s outrageous. While the average student loan debt is $37,000, some students graduate $100,000 or more in debt, simply for wanting to make a better life for their family.

To all Morton College students that think politics is toxic, the 68,000 people that are killed by the political cost of health care every year agree.

To all Morton College students that want to know how to make a difference: stand up, show up, and vote.

In 2020 so far, young voter turnout is up 33% above average. This is being fueled by policies such as free public colleges and Medicare for all, which stand to benefit young and old people.

Latino voters have doubled in the last 4 years. This is also being driven by policies which impact the Latino community specifically, such as reinstating DACA protections, and decriminalizing border crossing.

Enthusiasm among Democratic candidates is high, and some early exit polls indicate that turnout could be as high as 2008, when Barack Obama ran for president.

The Democratic Primary in Illinois is on March 17th, St. Patrick’s Day. While many Americans are out drinking themselves to sleep, Morton College students, and the young people of America, have an opportunity to wake up to a full-ride scholarship to public university, simply for showing up at a polling place for 5 minutes.

Bring your friends!