Quarantine: Manage Your Time

How to Stop Procrastinating Once And For All
Photo Credit: Google Image

by Bianca Cataldo

April 6, 2020

Coronavirus and quarantine represent a change, a total upheaval of our stability, but man is naturally predisposed to resist changes because each one of us has extraordinary resources. In this condition we are challenged. After this period we will change. We can get out of this situation improved, with new competence, reinforced or even new skills. I know that now we are attentive to this situation, but we don’t have to forget that after this, our life will go back to “normality”, so we can use this time as a moment of introspection and growth.

Now, many people would just procrastinate and get behind, but this attitude brings dissatisfaction and anxiety in the present and in the future. It is a vicious cycle that forces us to run in this wheel without getting anywhere. So time flies. Days are too short, and we don’t achieve anything. However, we have a whole day that we can manage to the best. Now more than ever we can get the most or the least out of our days. We can achieve everything or nothing. It’s all in our hands.

During this period there are some skills that can thrive. Even though we are on our own and it became so easy to procrastinate, we still need to keep up with our commitments, projects and so on. Here, our discipline, self-motivation and time management skills come into play.

There is so much we can do to develop our time management skills and, as a consequence, become more productive. I am not talking about the famous “to-do-list”. So, first of all, we do not manage time, we manage ourselves. The most important point and the only one I follow strictly is to define priorities.

It’s useless to write out a “to-do-list” and try to follow it and accomplish everything, multitask, stress about something you weren’t able to do… rather it is best to choose what needs to get done and do it before anything else. When I do what needs to get done, then I am calm and relaxed and I can dedicate my time to what I want to do. Then, it’s also important to keep in mind that future and present are too close, so if we need or want to do something we don’t have to rely on our “future-self”, but we need to start right away!

Last but not least, our mindset, determination, discipline and will power are going to make the difference. If we are strong within, we can really do everything. In the end, I also wanted to share some unusual time-management tips given by the New York Times best-selling author Kevin Kruse after interviewing very successful and productive people.

These extremely productive people do not divide the day in 24 hours, rather in 1440 minutes. Every minute is important in a day and must be used to the best. Then, they work on their most important activities at least two hours every morning. This might sound weird, but they do not work overtime because they value their energy. In fact, it is very important to take time to regenerate, so that we can focus on what we do, which means do it to the best and spend the least time on it.

With this in mind, I hope you’ll keep going on with your life and you’ll find that energy and grit to keep working on yourself. You can use these days to achieve what you never achieved… maybe you’ll learn to play that instrument, to speak another language, or you’ll finally read that book or work-out at home. Free that energy! We are stronger than we think.

One thought on “Quarantine: Manage Your Time