Nursing Graduate says: “Get a planner!”

By Collegian Staff

This is the first article in a series we hope will develop some traction here at the Collegian. We’d like to profile graduates who’ve started their careers, gain what wisdom they’ve gathered now that they’ve completed college.

This time we got a chance to talk to Brian Mullaghy, BSN, who graduated from Morton in 2013. He’s currently employed as a nurse in the Chicago suburbs. He stresses time management and self-advocacy as important to professional success.

1. ) Tell us about your career and why you picked it.

Well, I always wanted to be a teacher but quickly realized, after taking some anatomy courses, that I loved the human body. I decided I wanted to be able to teach people about their bodies, and what better way then being a nurse?

Nursing is a very stressful job at times but the satisfaction you get from helping others through their worst times makes it worth every ounce of stress!

2.) Ignoring the question of finances, what was the biggest challenge you faced in your 4-year program?

TIME! TIME! TIME!

I can’t stress that enough. Between working full-time on night shift from 11pm-7:30am 5-6 days a week, while also taking classes 2 days a week for 4 hours, it got hectic.

I had to get a planner for the first time in my life, and I really had to use it because it became overwhelming to just have it all sit in my head. Once I used the planner, it helped me not to have to think so much, and I knew exactly how long I had to do all my work and what needed my attention the most.

Saved my life!

3.) What advice do you have for students who plan to transfer?

Always attend class, and don’t assume teachers at a 4-year will give you breaks when you don’t do your homework. Get your work done early and enjoy being done while you see all the rest of your classmates struggling to finish the day before, while you sleep without worries.

4.) What is the biggest challenge you face in your current career?

I can’t say I have many challenges in my current career. When you love what you do, you’re never actually working but just helping others. Something to take away, when entering a career, is to know your worth! When you know your value to your employer, you can advance for the pay you deserve!

5.) What do you mean by your worth?

I mean that employers will sometimes try and tell you and pay you “what you’re worth.” Most times, that’s not the case. You need to know what your time is worth and your value to the people paying you, so you can advocate for higher pay for yourself, and you improve.

6.) Thanks, Brian. Good luck in your career!
18952847_10213473066124224_4500743502520883507_n

Are you a Morton alum who’d like to be profiled on The Collegian? If so, email us.