Tips to Stay Motivated this Semester

By Iris Rodriguez

Last year flew by, do you agree?

Make THIS year YOUR year. I will give you tips that will help you stay motivated this semester.

From personal experience, I realized that straight A’s in college are not unattainable. What we hear is true; the work you turn in reflects the grade you’ll receive. So, what is the secret to getting good grades in college? It’s not a secret at all. It’s just about effort and good time management, DISCIPLINE.

To start off, set a class goal. Make your goal(s) attainable. For example, my goal isn’t to earn straight A’s, because, well, sometimes things don’t turn out the way we want them to. Instead, my goal is “to earn B’s or higher.” By setting attainable goals you won’t feel so disappointed if it goes otherwise, and you’ll feel even more accomplished if you do better.

It’s simple, set realistic goals that will challenge you, only you know what you can accomplish.

Make it Happen!

Secondly, plan ahead. Making use of a planner will help you keep track of your assignment due dates and important test dates. Even if you’re bad at keeping a planner (like I am) you can set reminders and notes on your phone’s calendar.

Also, planning will show you what assignments you need to finish first. This is known as prioritizing and it’s a good life skill. You will need to rank your assignments from most important to least, and from what’s due first than others. You know you don’t want to miss those assignments due at 11:59 pm.

Planning will help you balance your social roles.

I know that were busy individuals and specially for us that work and attend school, it can be frustrating. But, you MUST take time out your day to study, even if it’s for a bit, it’s worth it. You are going into debt anyways, right? Get something out of it.

Studying doesn’t mean doing a whole T-Note taking procedure, just whatever works best for you. It can mean getting to class early and just going over your notes/study. Try waking up earlier (about 20 minutes or more) or before you’re going to sleep at night.

What I do is take pictures of my notes and whenever I have a little extra time I can just pull it up on my phone (or put it as your wallpaper). If that doesn’t work then try a voice record. Repeat it to memorize; even if you’re not paying attention, it stays on your subconscious, making it familiar to you.

Positively reinforce your accomplishments with a reward. Treat yourself to something you enjoy for every time you get a good grade. Whether it’s going to the movies, having a certain favorite food or buying something for yourself are all ways to motivate you!

Another thing is to be resourceful. Making use of the second floor library private/quiet studying.

Finally, find a friend you can be competitive with over grades!

Last Semester was the first time I had straight A’s while being at Morton College. I had 3 classes with a friend, Angela Martinez, whom I would always compare grades with.  So it became a challenge to get an A. It was a way for me to stay motivated and it seemed to work.

Now, I hope to get straight A’s this Spring semester as well. Especially since I will graduate with an Associates in Arts degree; to transfer to The University of Illinois in Chicago’s upcoming Fall 2018. If all goes well, I will apply to their Honors College.

So those are some short-term goals I have for 2018, what are yours?

Also, as Editor-in-Chief of the Morton Collegian I look forward to reviewing entries for this site, contact me at

Photo from WokandaPix,