Turning Point: Home-Office Journey becomes part of Working Hours!

Image result for people with laptops in train
Photo Credit: Google Image

If you are in the car, on the bus, or on the train, and you answer to colleagues’ phone calls, or to e-mails on your laptop, then you are working. In Switzerland, federal civil workers, who find themselves in this position, request this work to be included in the calculation of their working day!

by Bianca Cataldo

Jan. 24, 2020

On average, it seems that Swiss workers spend at least one hour on the home-office journey, so the idea would be to occupy workers during these hours of travel to reduce time spent behind the desk. After all, “Nowadays, flexible work forms have become a necessity” recognizes Anand Jagtap, head of human resources for Swiss public offices. This is an idea that most Swiss commuters would not mind.

The majority of commuters reveal that for them, the home-office journey is an office or a “consuming life” experience: people explain that they spend eight hours working, plus one, two, three or more hours on their home-office journey, as a consequence, they don’t have a lot of free time left. Therefore, there is a widespread civil unrest.

After the battle fought by four unions, Bern (capital of the Swiss Confederation) approved this change. However, the authorization of superiors is necessary, and each case is going to be examined based on its peculiar characteristics.

This idea could sign a turning point for the life of these Swiss workers, and why not, a turning point for the life of workers all over the world. It is a new point of view that could potentially improve people lives.

If people could make up the time they lose on their home-work journey, and as a consequence, work less hours in office, they could have more free time to spend for themselves, their families or to do what they need to.

There are limits and cons to take into consideration, but it can become something that, if done in the right way, improves the quality of our lives and also our working experiences. It can really be a turning point for this new generation.