Re-purposing the Second Floor of the Morton College Library Continues

cyrg-k9weae_xko

By Veronica Fernandez

As the two-year plan of the re-purposing of the second-floor of the Morton College Library rapidly occurred last semester, students and faculty were left to wonder what exactly was going to be placed in the newly appointed Student Success Center.

Several student forums also took place last semester to notify students of the changes to the second floor of the library. Students were given the opportunity to ask questions and gave their opinion on the matter.

Last October, initial statistics released by the library stated that the second-floor collection of books was going to be reduced by 50%. However, in newly revised statistics, it was shown that of 55,000 items, less than 18,000 were “weeded” or pulled from the shelves, less than the percentage reduction originally released. The weeding process was done in the span of three weeks. The whereabouts of the books pulled are in an unknown storage location on campus, it is still unclear what will be done with them.

Cristal Aranda, a library student aide, led a petition of nearly 500 signature to halt the process of the re-purposing. She noted that not enough light was shed on the plans for the transformation. “Students still don’t know this is going on” she commented.

A Student Success Center Committee has been developed to further develop proposals that students will be given the opportunity to comment on. Leading this committee is psychology professor and ILC (Individual Learning Center) director Robert Wood. The committee consists of seven members that include a reference librarian, full-time faculty members, an adjunct instructor and tutor, a testing and assessment specialist, a dean, and finally the director of ILC.

The second floor of the library currently consists of an open space with study tables and study rooms that are available on a first come first serve basis.

2 thoughts on “Re-purposing the Second Floor of the Morton College Library Continues”